KBG | Licensing

Concessional Licensing – Code 404

Comrades, on 30 June 2020 we received recognition from the Department of Transport as an approved car club for the Veteran/Vintage/Post Vintage/Invitation (VVPVI) vehicle license concession, otherwise known as Code 404.  This enables us to put eligible vehicles on a register for concessional licensing.

Any motor vehicle that is aged 25 years old or older may be eligible for 404 concession providing it is preserved in unmodified, original condition, and is used in accordance with the restricted use provisions of the concession.

Additionally, a special category of Unique & Historic exists for vehicles newer than 25 years old, however, the vehicle must be exceptionally special to be considered. A specific application process covers such vehicles.


Code 404 was established to preserve WA’s motoring heritage by providing cheaper registration for vehicles maintained in original condition with limited road use. A key condition of the concession was the maintenance of originality, however, there are a number of approved modifications.

  1. Alternative period wheels i.e. wheels that were available at the time.
  2. Contemporary / factory options that were available for the vehicle when new are permitted, provided all related components to the manufacturers original specification are also fitted.
  3. Safety items such as brake lights and flasher indicators.
  4. Radial ply tyres may be fitted but only to rims of original diameter and width or no more than 25mm over-width.
  5. Conversion from 6v to 12v.
  6. Conversion from LHD to RHD providing the conversion complies with the National Code of Practice for Light Vehicle Modifications (VSB14).
  7. LPG conversion (an extremely odd choice for a scheme established to preserve originality!).

Note: There is no general list of acceptable modifications so if you are in doubt, contact the Politburo to discuss.

Use restrictions

Vehicle owners must confine their vehicle’s use to the following:

  1. Any recorded event organised by an approved club. This includes other approved clubs’ events.
  2. Events organised or advertised in your club’s newsletter, magazine, events calendar, website or Facebook page.
  3. Rallies organised by an approved historic motoring club. This includes multi-day events and travel to and from the rally (approval from the club is required to be carried).
  4. Participation in processions (e.g., ANZAC Day), displays, fetes, and similar functions conducted for religious, charitable or educational purposes.
  5. Ceremonial purposes, such as weddings, formals and funerals, involving immediate family members, providing that the event is logged with the club and no payment for services is involved.
  6. Transport to and from repair or inspection services, including fuel runs.
  7. Road testing within a 30 km radius of the vehicle’s regular location.
  8. Impromptu runs/events involving one or more vehicles, over a one-day period, and must be logged in the club’s official ‘Run Log’. See Impromptu Runs details below.

Vehicles on Concession cannot be:

  1. Used for daily commuting or work.
  2. For profit / hire services.
  3. Used for a driving test.

Impromptu Runs

This allows vehicles to be used on non-club sanctioned events for single day drives. There is no distance limit. The process is simple. In advance, you must email the Club Registrar identifying yourself, the vehicle you will be using and the date it will be going out. The Registrar keeps a log of this information.

It is worth downloading and reviewing the Code 404 conditions here: http://councilofmotoringclubs.asn.au/index.php/downloads/code-404

The formalities out of the way, how does one apply for concession?

If the vehicle is already on full license, it is easy to transfer to Code 404 or back to full license.

Email the Politburo at kbgpolitbureau@gmail.com with:

  • Copy of your current registration papers.
  • Photos of the vehicle with a detailed description (please advise if there are any non-factory modifications or accessories). If there is any uncertainty, we may need to inspect the vehicle or discuss further.
  • If approved, the Registrar will provide a copy of the CMC 1 declaration confirming financial membership and originality.



  • Download from the Transport website Form E81 and complete the concession application.
  • Take your registration papers, Form E81 and CMC 1 to a Department of Transport office and expect to wait over an hour.  Transport don’t do many of these and we can guarantee it will take a while.  Make sure you check that the concession does not include a daytime driving only condition. If it does, ask them to correct it immediately.


If the vehicle is unlicensed in WA, you will need to have the vehicle inspected for roadworthiness first. Please contact the Politburo and we’ll recommend an inspector.

If you have a vehicle on concession with another club and wish to transfer it to the KBG register, the steps are extremely simple.

Email the Politburo at team@kbgaustralia.org with:

  1. Copy of your current registration papers and photos of the vehicle.
  2. Advise us which club the vehicle is currently registered through.
  3. The Registrar will provide you with a letter confirming the vehicle is added to the KBG register. You will need to keep a copy for your records and pass a copy to the other club. Department of Transport do not need to be advised of transfers between registers of approved clubs.

Once a vehicle is approved for Concessional Licensing, it must wear additional plates or stickers stating “HISTORIC” above or below the front and rear number plates. The dimensions differ for cars and 2-wheel vehicles. These are available from the Motor Museum of WA and shortly the club will have some stock available to club members.

Later in the year Transport will announce the details of the new Concessions for Classics scheme, which will offer discounted registration for modified / non-factory spec vehicles.  KBG intends to support members wanting to participate in this scheme.

When this new category of concession is introduced, several changes will be made to Code 404. We will provide full details to members.

Concessions for Classics (C4C) Scheme

Click here for C4C Code of Conduct.

FAQs can be found by clicking here.

More info can be found by clicking here.